||Originally the Traxel/Gellhaus cottage (1899/1900). William Traxel owned the
Traxel Art Company on Fourth Street in Cincinnati. Gellhaus, his son in law, headed
Viking Sprinkler Company. The 3rd generation with parents and grandparents enjoyed
summers in Terrace Park. When school was out they moved from Avondale to Terrace
Park for three months of freedom in, on and by the Little Miami River.
"When they weren't in the river, they fished for crawdaddies with bacon rinds, picked
blackberries, helped their grandparents tend their large garden, roamed the Park or read
books. They were used to the Robinson Circus animals and not bothered a bit by the
roar of the lions. ..... Each morning they biked to the post office to get their mail, and
in the evenings thought nothing of walking into Mifford to see a movie for a
quarter." Jean Gellhaus, of this 3rd generation, "spent every summer here
until she married Bob McSpadden, a voice teacher and ... supervisor of music for
Cincinnati Public Schools". Jean's "parents held onto their Terrace Park
property as long as health permitted. They had hoped to build a retirement home here
in 1944. But just before ground breaking, the government put a freeze on all private
construction. By the time World War II was over, their plans had
changed." (from an article by Camilla Warwick in the May 1993 Village
Views - copy in TPHS house notebook)
||From THE CENTENNIAL REVIEW OF
CINCINNATI 1888 (Copied from the volume in the library of the Historical and
Philosophical Society of Ohio: The Centennial review of Cincinnati:
one hundred years. Progress in commerce, manufactures, the
professions, and in social and municipal life. Ed. by John W. Leonard.
Cincinnati, J. M. Elstner & Co., 1888 page 140) Closson, Traxel &
Maas.- Manufacturers and Importer of Artists' Materials, Architects'
Stationery, Etc.; 186 West Fourth Street. - Mr. A. B. Closson, Jr. has long
been prominent as a dealer in artists' materials, etc., having established
this business twenty-two years ago. About five years ago Mssrs.
William Traxel and J. B. Maas became members of the firm, but the style of
A. B. Closson, Jr. remained unchanged until September 1887, when the present
firm name was adopted. They occupy a handsome store, eligibly located
at 186 West Fourth street, embracing a large two-story and basement
building, 25x100 feet in dimensions, with an elegant art gallery in the
rear, where they hold from time to time exhibits of oil painting,
watercolors, etc. Employment is given to ten clerks and assistants and
a large business is done in artists' materials of every description,
including paints, canvas, easels, pencils, palettes, brushes, plaques,
studies, etc. art novelties, high class proof engravings, etchings, and fine
picture frames, and every thing in the line. The trade of the firm,
which is very large, is principally in the city and its surroundings, and
also includes a considerable transient trade.
||Virginia Lance (m Ross Lance) is a daughter of Edward
& Irene Gellhaus. 806 & 308
Miami. Their daughter is Judy Lance Schneider (later back to
just Judy Lance).
||J. E. & Marcella Weiler at this address in 1953
(moved to 811 Miami). She sang in the St.
Thomas choir as did their daughter Judy. Walter & Linda Budd
later also sang in the choir.
||The Smyths had an auto agency on Kellogg Avenue.
During the big flood in 1977 they brought their hearses from there and
parked them in their driveway. (Information in stories 3, 4
& 5 from Marie Stoecklin)
||Eugenia Darling lives in Symmes Township in 2006 - friend
of Peg Pettit. Has pictures of the house as a summer cottage, the
way it was when they lived there. Husband Doane was always
watching the bank behind their house since it seemed about to erode
away. There was evidently a tree there that helped hold the bank in
place. Evidently when the next owners lived there the tree went down
and the kitchen was in great danger so they had to take the kitchen off
and move it around to the side.
Doan Farr Darling was born 21 August 1934 and died 29 September 1996, aged
62 years, buried in St. Thomas Church Columbarium, Section 5, Niche 137,
Gilligan Funeral Home.
||The information on this house needs to be revised and
clarified. There was an original summer cottage built here in 1900,
probably for the Gellhaus family. At least by the time the Darling family
lived here it was in very bad condition. I do not think the original
house survives in 2009 (see story 1).